Here are the goals for my 0.2 release
- release build of ff with debugger-info enabled to create pdbs without being a full debug build
- using lib xul – make an installer for people to download
- take the symbols and index them and distribute the source
- set up the symbol server but indexed so that someone can pull the source code
- which involves running the cv2http.cmd on the indexed code
And the results:
How to set up the Source and Symbol Server
- add a path to my symbolServer http://avnerd.tv/symbols/2007110200 as per MDC docs in Tools->Debugging->Symbols
- check the option for turning on the source server in Tools->Debugging->General
- Download the installer from here Firefox Installer **(FYI you have to use my installer because it is the one that I indexed code and uploaded symbols for – if you do not use this installer you will not get the proper results)
- install the firefox you just downloaded (it will install as Minefield in Program FilesMinefield)
- make sure you run it with –no-remote and -profilemanager so you don’t mess up your normal Firefox experience
- once it’s running, go to Tools->attach to process… and attach VStudio to the firefox instance
- after it’s attached, you can go to Debug->break all and then poke around at the firefox functions code (You will get a warning about downloading code from an unknown source, click on “run” because you trust me)
This is what it might look like:
You need to be in the Windows platform and have a copy of Visual Studio to run the above instructions. If this applies to you, please take a minute to download the installer and follow the instructions as I’ve outlined them.
Please leave a comment answering the following questions:
- Did it work for you?
- Were the instructions clear?
- Any constructive feedback?